Staffman Rocks

Hardworking attorney / man of the people / super-hero to fans of 1963 Ford Fairlanes.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Play Ball and Brown's Diner

I just figured out that I'm leaving for the softball tournament tomorrow at noon, which is pretty sweet. That means I gotta get up on my laundry so as to have enough clothes to make it until Sunday. As of yet I haven't found my glove, but I'm sure that I'll either find one or be able to borrow one before tomorrow... I'm just that slick.

Otherwise today has been good. I played some poker, breaking even, and ate at a place called Brown's Diner. Brown's diner is a little greasy spoon right off of 21 Ave directly across from the Harris Teeter. I was there because my friend Syria and I met Kentucky and "Slim Road" at Kentucky's house for the festivities.

I'm not sure what it is about waitresses in Nashville... Maybe it's the fact that you make absolutely no money during the day shift, or maybe its the fact that if you added my age and Syria's together you might come close to the average age of the patron's of Brown's Diner. Whatever it was, we got a real gem of a waitress again today.

Syria ordered the cheeseburger and I got the grilled cheese (I haven't been too hungry lately and it sounded good). Mine was supposed to come with fries and Syria's wasn't. When the waitress brought the food out both Syria and I had fries... no big deal. Except the waitress kept bringing it up.

She started by saying "I guess you got fries anyway." Syria thanked her. She then said "I told him not to give you fries, but he did," followed by "I didn't tell him [I assume this "him" is the source of the fries] that you weren't supposed to get fries." Syria and I try not to laugh. Free fries are nice, but should never amount to a conspiracy. The waitress goes on to say "Besides, if I did tell him, I'd just have to throw them away... we're not allowed to re-serve them." It's good to know that Brown's Diner obeys the health code.

As Syria and I stifle laughs, the waitress leans in real close to Syria with a very serious expression. She concludes her free fry monologue, not more than a foot from Syria's face, by commanding in a stage whisper to "Enjoy those fries... You just enjoy those fries." I don't know if she thought we were trying to pull one over on her, or if she thought we were ungrateful for the bounty we'd been given or what... All I know is at that point I had a hard time not laughing out loud.

Other interesting comments made by the waitress include:

1. "[a semi-famous country singer] plays here every Wednesday night.... You guys should come."
2. "The industrial stocks [I think she meant "index" but am not sure] is up. That means... I don't have to tell you what that means, you two look like smart people."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home